Sunday 19 January 2014

Changing Places

I go away for five minutes and all hell breaks loose, okay well, that might be a slight exaggeration but at the time it seemed pretty major.  Being away on business also didn't help as I was supposed to be working and not worrying about the play!  I guess I should explain what actually happened instead of rambling on about it.

On Thursday, I was in Amsterdam at a conference and I received a Facebook message from Andy.  He had been offered a job in a holiday camp in North Wales and unfortunately for me, they needed him to start in 2 weeks time.  Bugger.  Well, much as I was disappointed, I understood what an opportunity this was for him, so I wished (and still wish) him well.

But that left me with a gap, a hole in my cast.  One good thing was that we hadn't really got started, apart from the full read through so at least I didn't have to go through loads of blocking and stuff again.  But there was still the question about who could fill the gap.  I wanted a strong actor to compliment the rest of the incredible Woods team and someone who I could see as Andy.  In my head I had an idea of him, I guess that's the thing about being the writer, you see the characters as you write them so I had to find someone that would fit that image.

I made some enquiries and obtained a number for the person who I thought would be best for me and the show and dialled his number.  Before the read through and auditions he had spoken to me and explained that he would not be able to audition for me as he had training on a Thursday night.  However, luckily for me(but not for him), he had injured himself at the weekend and was unable to play for a while or now train on a Thursday night.  I sent him the rehearsal schedule and the first part of the script but only to the point the we go to at the read through, asked him to read through and let me know whether he was interested.

On Friday, I was on my way to the airport and just dropped him a line to ask him to let me know whether he would like to step into the role or whether I had to go to plan B.  Luckily for me, he said yes!  YAY!  So we now have a New Andy, he will be known in this blog from now on as New Andy.  Oh perhaps I should have mentioned that before, I will only refer to the cast in their character names or their responsibilities if they aren't in the cast but I need to refer to them.  Hope that's clear...

So tomorrow is our first official rehearsal, I'd better get on with some blocking or shall I make a cake, blocking or cake...  blocking or cake....  If I don't do the blocking, tomorrow's rehearsal will be rubbish, but cake...  Must go now and do one or the other...

Song of the day - 3 Doors Down - Changes

No comments:

Post a Comment